Monday, June 23, 2008

My son is a doctor...

said the man who was sitting next to me in the Lufthansa flight to India. He is in a verry goodd position...he proudly states. His house is so big...6 bedrooms..ha ha..i was getting lost for the first few days. Then he launched on the appliances sonny boy has got. He has only expensive items in his home...only the best...and he drives BMW..and so does his wife..uhhh...ah..she drives an SUV (happy he remembered the make of the car..it is important info u know!). My dil is a verry good girl...little stylish..but you know....today's generation...here in America they do not like people wearing indian clothes..so she is forced to wear skirts and jeans. Well..i just smiled and nodded and pretended to feel sleepy. I was ready to fake sleep so i do not have to hear this boring bragging for a few more hours....but the man seemed to have no pity on me.

What is up with people who bore you with details of their homes?? Do they think the rest of us care...or do they think that position their kids or family members have are unattainable?? Or do they subject strangers with this torture coz nobody else in their family or friends listens to them!! I have unfortunately been subjected to this sort of bragging many a times!! Like the last time...yep..again to a flight to India (maybe i gotta stop flying alone..this could be a sign!) where a gentleman next to me..was claiming that he was a caterer to the movie stars in India. How he knew Amitji (roll eyes), Jeethu bhaisahab (roll..roll..roll eyes) and his daughter...and a couple more..seriously i can't remember. He talked non-stop and it was really sad..coz i was pumped up on Niquil and i guess through his talking fell asleep...coz i really do not recall him stopping...and when i woke up...he seemed a bit cold for a while (yahoo!!)...but went on about integrity and generation gap later on!! Yikes!!

Then there is another type...who bitch and crib and whine on how there is no respect for them. We are all alone in India...this aunty tells me in the grocery store here in Kroger the other day. If uncle is falling sick....i take care...but when i am sick...poor uncle does everything for me :(...my son wants to come...but....you know...she nods suggestively....mmchh...what to do ma..we have done our duty as parents..now all our happiness is with our children..gives me a nirupa-roy smile (if u do not know who is nirupa roy...shame on you!!). I am seriously in a dhuvidha...coz my blood is boiling that she blames dil..but i can't be mean to her coz it is not nice to be rude (yeah...even i at times do get complacent!).

But..in the end what comes to me is there has to be an end to whining and discussing private issues with all and sundry! You can share it with friends...people you know...but when you spill ur guts to people around you or brag to them...you are really making the innocent bystander's life miserable...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you! People and their pride/showing-off! I think I'd go crazy if I was stuck next to some "irritant" on a flight - ESPECIALLY a long flight. Thank God from now on, I have to travel with my daughter - and I'm sure people will be running away instead of wanting to sit next to us hahaha

By the way, how did you come to find my blog?

Beyond Curries said...

I think those who brag/whine don't have anybody to listen.