Sunday, July 13, 2008

It's a family secret

she claimed..when my friend asked the host the recipe of a paneer dish she had at her place. It made me laugh..coz my bud told me the host was a keralite ..so i seriously doubt the recipe was handed down generation to generation..a punjabi..kashmiri...even u.p'ite i would perhaps believe it...and secondly..c'mon people..what is the harm in sharing?? I understand if you have a catering business or a restaurant business where you do not want to divulge the secret...but for a home cook to do that in my opinion is plain rude. My buddy was pretty miffed..esp. when the host had written down recipes of bisibela-baath and some more kannadiga recipes from her...but when it came to share her recipe..turned her down.

I have noticed this trend here in America..not sure if it is caught-up elsewhere...but growing up in India i recall..we would force our mother to get geeta maami's rawa idly recipe...or anjali aunty's chole-bhature recipe..coz we loved it so..and those aunties would share it so lovingly...actually sending in some the next time they make it!. I see 'family' recipes and other authentic recipes shared by so many bloggers with pictures and ever ready to answer your questions..so what is with some people who are keeping their family secrets for food?? I am fed-up with people claiming family secret pasta sauce..family secret chilli..family secret god-knows-what!! get over it guys!! share it...you are anyway not making a buck with selling ur food..why not share the recipe and share the love of food with friends.

I remember...one of my co-workers...who would talk a lot of her pasta sauce recipe..spilled the beans..after an evening in the bar. The amazing secret was just a ridiculous step in making the sauce!!..i laughed so hard when i heard it..coz i was expecting it to be something exotic or some technique i had no idea about. When you see food network..half the channel is talking about family secret recipe..while we have the other half claiming to us that they are spilling their family secret recipe..and i see the recipe with full concentration instead of the usual half my mind on the book i am reading...only to get short-changed on the recipe..the secret is nothing to write home about!!...as usual i have been made a dummy :D

11 comments:

mitr_bayarea said...

Rajitha-

hmm..family secret recipes are not going to be kept as such by folks once they read this post. Kudos to all the great food bloggers who so generously share their recipes with the others.

Thanks for stopping at my blog, have blog rolled you to become a regular visitor.

Rajitha said...

mitr..ha ha...i hope so!!..i saw 'family secret recipe' being mentioned in Jon and Kate plus 8 yesterday..and could not help but smile :)

Laavanya said...

I think i saw a similar post on Srivalli's.. and was horrified then too. I just can't understand what the big deal is anyway! Weirdos - that's what they are.

sra said...

I always thought this family secret business was hype that adorned cookbooks and marketing associated with food stuff till I saw mentions of this in the blog world. I've never come across anyone like this.

Rajitha said...

lav..after reading her blog..i got reminded of this incident..crazy right..what is the harm in sharing!!

sra..i have personally never encountered this..but i am a sort of person who never asks for things!!...except to a handful of ppl. i know who will not turn me down. i don't think it is present in India in us common folks..in the US it is quite the rage..and i guess many of our(indians) people like to mimic :D

Beyond Curries said...

Came here from Laksh's blog Rajitha. This post was a nice read, as Mitr has commented, I think once people read this post they ought to get out of their system "family secret".

I also totally agree with you on the Indian neighbor who brings you the stuff you liked, each and everytime they make it. I have had that experience.

Beyond Curries said...

Just now I saw your profile and identified that you were "hunger pang Rajitha". Good, good!

Rajitha said...

madhuram...ha ha..yep! same rajitha..i think if i write all this in the food blog ppl. may stop coming ;)...i miss eating all my neighbour aunty's food you know..it would be such a surprise for us!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Rajitha, totally agree...I was thinking the same when I used to hear the American family recipe thingie!! I am all for sharing recipes..anything and everything I come across.Hence my food blog :) I also go with you on the neighbour's food; I especially love it when they end up on your table when you don't have it at home...like the karadai at our place. All the aunties used to bring and leave it for me cos I love them and we don't have that nombu :D

Rajitha said...

A...foodblog?? which one!! i think i have missed it...is there a link on ur page??

Anonymous said...

No...There is one on Laksh's and A-kay's page though..anyways here it is
http://shakaharisapadu.wordpress.com