Sunday, June 14, 2009

Maybe i am not cultured or i am not pretentious

I think i would go with the latter..i truly hope so. Last week one of my friends visited me and insisted that she wanted to go to MOMA (Museum of Modern Art). I was truly sceptic and asked her if she would rather go to American Museum of Natural History, that i have been wanting to go again (actually it is just amazing and i am planning to become a member, so that i can visit it often)..but she chimed that MOMA is supposedly all glamorous and all artsy and if there was anything she wanted to do in NYC, it was to go to the amazing museum and Chinatown!. I was like allright...i mean it is your trip..and anyhoo..i wanted to check out Chinatown myself...so i agreed (only to regret later!)

MOMA in my opinion was obnoxious! yes...i said it...what is wrong with people....i saw paper stapled together shown as art...a paper crushed and then smoothed out..framed up....a canvas that was painted in black and had a block of red and one more color running thru...a winnie the pooh drawing all smudged up (even kids are forced to color within the lines people!!)...a tic-tac-toe with smilies and crosses!!..and much much more atrocious and over the top stuff...that people were looking at with awe and discussing in hushed tones...aiyiyi....i have to say..gave me a sort of a complex :D


I know many people may look down and me and say..well..this represents the universe...or the childlike innocence of a kid or some story pulled from you know where!!...I feel that the majority of people there were putting on an act. It was quite funny for me..as i thought the reaction of the people watching this pretentious and expensive (yeah $20 for it..i rather have bought me a lip gloss from sephora) art and acting all high and mighty! i will not say the whole museum was a flop...there were prolly 5-6 rooms that i thought was just amazing...but to have 4 floors in a building. I truly made up my mind..never to get sucked up in the hype..and if someone wants to visit it...i will lay out the subway chart and let em deal with it on their own! (btw. letting people go on their own on subway....i wish!)

3 comments:

Laavanya said...

I LOVE the Smithsonian museum of Natural History at DC too - you should come here - it's free to boot. I never get tired of it.

Wow.. some of the examples you've given about MOMA really surprise me - what is so amazing and artistic about crushed paper or a botched up coloring job of winnie the pooh? As a mom i find almost every thing that my daughter doodles beautiful but I don't think i'd carry it far enough to admire these!
Did your friend enjoy it?

Rajitha said...

Laav...trust me kutti A's paint/doodle was so much nicer than the crap out there....it was quite a dissapointment..but again it was pretentious...what can i say. My friend initially pretended it was interesting..but when she saw mw laughing..she joined in...and the truth came out! How i wish you could visit me..promise me..u will come next year!...

Raaga said...

Oh, I'm glad to note I am not alone. :-) Can't for the life in me understand Modern Art... it isn't art really!